Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Vinyl vs. CD audio level

Steven Liburd wrote:

I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps
it is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs.

Yes. The CD's that are louder than the vinyl are more processed than the
vinyl. This is caused by more processing equipment and less skilled staff
pr. capita. The technical term is "the loudness race" ... my opinion is that
sound quality suffers and that quite much vinyl sounds very good not because
the technology itself is good, but simply because less has been done.

Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

Mileage varies plenty on this, my strategy is to lower the recording volume
enough to record the loudest click unclipped and then "fix single click"
those large clicks that are louder than the audio, and then to normalize the
vinyl to -2.5 dB. That makes it approximately as loud as well recorded CD's,
at least when it is about acoustic music.

==steven

Kind regards

Peter Larsen