Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Default hearing audio files on host computer controlling guest on remote desktop?

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/11/2014 11:33 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
On your computer you have a music app which
generates sound data. It passes that data on to your sound card driver,
which takes the data in a standardized format and passes it on to the
actual sound card hardware.

So now, on the host computer, we replace the sound card driver with another
one that takes your sound data and spits it out over to the network to the
client computer. The client computer has a special audio app on it that
listens for the data from the host's driver on the network. It takes that
data, does whatever jiggery-pokery is required, and then passes that data
on to the normal sound card driver on the client computer. Voila! Remote
audio.

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. Thanks for the plain language
explanation rather than names of programs that I don't know. Those only
matter to people who actually want to do this, and I'm sure they
understood what Peter was talking about.

No problem. I don't know the names of the programs either, so it was easy
to not mention them.