Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Which RF headphones?

On Friday, October 3, 2014 3:55:07 PM UTC-4, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrot=

e:
=20
These would be mostly for watching TV. Though I am not a hard-core audi=

ophile, I AM suffering from the terrible sound from the (fairly new TV) spe=
akers. Unfortunately newer TVs do not have port for headphone jacks -- stu=
pid!!!
=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
So I am considering 3 Sennheiser RF phones. Which of the below do Hon. =

Members think would be adequate for mostly talk:
=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
RS 120

=20
=20

=20
RS 130

=20
=20

=20
RS 160

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
Money IS a factor, alas, so I want to get the biggest bank for my limit=

ed buck.
=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
Your input appreciated.

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
Higgs Boson

=20
=20
=20
Would appreciate input on the following ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphone=

s.
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
"Sennheiser Urbanite
=20
The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid =

bass with Sennheiser's uncompromising clarity through the entire frequency =
range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a variety of colors to =
suit your style. Shop now"
=20
=20
=20
What does "intense club sound" mean? ditto "solid bass"??
=20
=20
=20
Given that I am a female, so genetically programmed to prefer more treble=

and less bass,
=20
would I be making a mistake ordering these headphones?
=20
=20
=20
Could you interpret the above phrases for me?
=20
=20
=20
TIA
=20
=20
=20
HB

A few generic things first, and this particular venue does not permit true =
rants, so I will tone down my usual headphone advice using less strident la=
nguage than I usually do.

a) Avoid ear buds or _ANY_ headphone that actually impinges on or into the =
ear canal. This is almost a guaranteed pathway to hearing damage. Headphone=
s if abused in any case can (and often do) cause hearing damage, but buds a=
re the worst.=20
b) If you want to isolate yourself when using the headphones, use a closed =
design - that is, one that shuts out ambient sound to a significant extent.=
=20
c) if not, you might consider open-air headphones.=20

All that being written, Sennheiser has an excellent reputation and makes ge=
nerally decent products. The phrase "intense club sound" means that it will=
produce high volume without breaking up. "Solid Bass" means that it will g=
enerally favor the thumping 'club sound' where bass is more of a visceral e=
xperience than an audible one. All of the above is "Madison Avenue" for LOU=
D, THUMPING SOUND. And not what you want unless you favor that level of sou=
nd and your ears are (probably) already damaged. So, this is Sennheiser's a=
nswer to Beats and any of several other headphones offered to those favorin=
g club sound.=20

I suggest you up the ante some and go for the very top-line Sennheisers ava=
ilable. Do so only on the basis that you may return them if you are not ple=
ased, and give yourself some time. That is, if you want to limit yourself t=
o purpose-built wireless units. You DO have other options.

1) Through Amazon, search for a Wireless Headphone Amplifier. You will be l=
ead to a blue-tooth unit that will drive any conventional headphone, greatl=
y increasing your options.=20

2) Then, look up GRADO headphones still made in Brooklyn, NY. You should be=
able to do both items for about the same cost (or less) than the basic Sen=
nheiser. With the future flexibility that the Sennheisers will not have.=20

Good luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20