Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default RTA

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Note that none of the standard tests go above 8 KC, because going
higher than that requires compensating for the differences in ear
structures between different people and it becomes more expensive.

Hmmm ... I always thought it was based on the religion of "important for
speech" discounting all other aural pleasure.

But if there is a severe enough problem, it'll show up below 8 KC too.

Interestingly the most likely place for early impulse noise damage is 6 kHz
and falls smack dab in the gap between spot checking at exactly 4000 Hz and
exactly 8000 Hz.

Anyway, it was a different rant I had on my mind, namely that one should not
confuse hearing threshold with frequency response of hearing and that one
needs to understand the concept of recruitment and the fact that signal at
neighboring lower frequencies add as a bias that facilitates audibility. It
is the latter effect that is the cause of people seemingly being able to
hear above what their threshold graph suggests that they are good at. But it
is a nuisance to talk to the house staff during the intermission and hear
them saying "Ah, the bell is chiming, they (the audience) are coming back
in" .....

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen