Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default RTA

In article . littondale.dyndns.org,
Richard Corfield wrote:
On 2008-01-25, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I can understand loss of upper hearing, and despite cisplatin chemotherapy
I think I do well at about 13kHz now. I can no longer hear faulty computer
monitors or cat scaring devices which is in some ways a blessing. I hope
that loss of that range isn't too much of a problem for mixing though have
wondered if I should eq it out a bit in case something nasty happens up
there that I can't hear but my audience can.

I would think it would be a severe problem, but get someone to back you
up and see if THEY think it is a problem.

Phooey! How well do older people do at mixing? I wonder if it's worth
getting it tested one day. I used to have really good range and was one of
the few in the office who did hear the faulty monitors, but then again I'm
still here. It's no scuba diving either :-( so I went skiing instead :-)

Some do well and some do poorly; I think it's a matter of learning to adjust
to deficits as much as anything else. I know a lot of PA guys who have no
top end, though, and pump the treble up until it's screechy and unlistenable
for everyone else.

Yes, you should get tested, and then you should get tested again, say once
a year. If you make it to the AES show, the guys from the House Ear
Institute will test you for free.

Note that none of the standard tests go above 8 KC, because going higher
than that requires compensating for the differences in ear structures
between different people and it becomes more expensive. But if there is
a severe enough problem, it'll show up below 8 KC too.