Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Opinions on Horizon Mic Splitters and Direct Boxes

Z-Man wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with Horizon mic splitters and/or
direct boxes? I'm thinking of purchasing one of each. I need
something to split a mixer's balanced out between a power amp and some
in-ear monitors. I also need to get a direct box for my bass player.
Horizon seems like a good choice for the money. Any thoughts?

Horizon makes okay stuff for a reasonable price, but I would be a little
wary of running line level through their splitters.

If you absolutely need transformer isolation, Sescom will sell you a box
with one 600 ohm input and two 600 ohm outputs that will be fine at line
level. Audisar also makes some similar transformers but I don't think
they will put them in a nice box for you.

As far as the bass DI, just buy the Countryman. You will find the high
input impedance of the active DI to be a huge advantage, and the Countryman
is convenient and ubiquitous.