perso

Noah Roberts a écrit :
Mike Rivers wrote:

So why hasn't some enterprising Linux/Ardour advocate put together an
Ardour distribution package that can be easily installed on a fresh
out of the box computer to provide a stable, capable DAW for less
money than ProTools, Nuendo, Samplitude, Cakewalk, and the like? Seems
like if Linux, Ardour, and the support programs are as solid as is
claimed, this could be a great deal for, say, $100 or so.

If the answer is "it's not so simple" then I think I've made a point.

Thank you for asking!!

LiveCD, no need to even install Linux:
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/ - 50 pounds...80 US?
http://www.dynebolic.org/ - free

I don't think dynebolic comes with ardour, at least it is not among its
advertized features.

Complete audio distribution:
http://www.agnula.org/ - free

Then of course you have Gentoo, which is not an audio distro but makes
creating a DAW very easy once you get past the install, which admitedly
takes some knowledge. It is a custom, almost DIY distro for non-newbies.

You can also modify Slackware, RH, and Mandrake with these pre-built
setups (all free):
http://www.audioslack.com/
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/

Of the three I think Mandrake is best for those with no Unix experience.

All of these are 32 bit though. As with most other things, if you are
in 64 bit you are kind of on your own. There is a project that is not
available yet called Studio64. Don't know a lot about it.

So there you have it. It IS that easy. You have several options all of
which are MUCH cheaper than pro-tools, cakewalk, and all the others. I
mean, you can't get much cheaper than, "Make a donation if you want."
Even Studio to Go! is cheaper than all but the most inexpensive Windows
DAW software.

I have only tried Gentoo myself. I may check out agnula though.

I use Ardour 0.9beta 30 on Mandriva LE 2005 and 0.9beta21 on Agnula
1.2.1 RC1: all is fine

I have Sonar 3 SE, had Cubase, Tracktion,
and i prefer Ardour.

Pro Tools Ardour Samplitude same level/