Scott Dorsey

Default R: Broadcast sound question

Gian Luca Specchia wrote:
And with a 16 bit system keeping peaks at -20,
you still have 76 dB of dynamic range to play with, which is a lot more

than
any TV program will ever use.

Consider guys that the system has 24 bits...........and onair (we do use
mpeg 2 compression) the sound is low in level.

That sounds like you need some limiting somewhere, then. Cranking the
level on the distributed program up won't buy you anything since the
AVC box on the transmitter airchain will just turn it back down again.

This kind of broadcast has a poor level....if I reach the maximum peak
of -20dbfs nobody will hear the program unless the television has a volume
setted at the maximum.......

Then use some limiting to bring average levels up while keeping peak levels
low.

Turning up the volume won't do you any good since the AVC will just turn it
back down. Processing is your only real answer to bring average levels up.