Richard D Pierce

Default Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused!

In article ,
BOB URZ wrote:
I've got a "home theater" receiver/amp with an A-B speaker switch. The
"A" speakers are in my listening room, the "B" speakers are on the patio
in the backyard. When I have them both switched on, the B speakers are
much louder than the A speakers. If I want to listen to music in the
house at a moderately loud level, my wife runs in from outside and tells
me to turn it down before the neighbors complain.

So I bought an L-pad for the B speakers, thinking that would enable me
to turn them down...

(Here's where it gets weird...)

When I turn down the L-pad, the B speakers go down in volume, BUT SO DO
THE A SPEAKERS!

I'm totally confused. Does this mean the A speakers and the B speakers
are connected in parallel or something?

What you need are autoformers and not L pads.

Sounds more likely to me that one of two things are happening:

1. The A/B speaker switch on the amplifier is connecting
the A and B speakers in series, leading to strange behavior
of the L-pad control

2. The L-Pad and/pr speakers arenm't connected right.

Autoformers will not load down the amps output
which is what hour problem is now.

Actually, they WILL load down the amplifier. The input impedance
to the transformer will look just like the speaker impedance
hooked to it, change only by the impedance ratio of the
transformer. The load will still be there.

I would confirm the wiring is correct before going further.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |