Justin Ulysses Morse

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Arny Krueger wrote:

Now, lets add the 10 KHz sine wave to the 1 KHz sine wave. Finally, we have
a set of numbers that don't all end in 8 zeroes!

I like this example because it equates to something musically
meaningful. That 10kHz sine wave is a high-order even harmonic of the
1kHz sine wave. Though our example created it synthetically, it could
just as easily have been a distortion component in an amplifier, or an
overtone in an acoustic instrument. It contributes to the tonal
character of the louder 1kHz tone. Removing this harmonic, either by
filtering out the high frequencies or by swamping it with noise or
quantization error, will change the musical character of the music just
like adding a harmonic that wasn't originally there would.

ulysses