Bob Cain

Arny Krueger wrote:

Since we've covered linear distortion, that leaves nonlinear distortion and
noise.

Yep.

Noise as currently specified is not as revealing as it could, because mic
have different noise spectra.

And don't, in general, color the sound of the mic. It's
additive and at low levels.

In general, it seems like mics have relatively low nonlinear distortion as a
rule, at least until the diaphragm bottoms, the transformer saturates, or
the electronics clip.

Yes, condensers are much lower than any speaker you might
listen on. Since it seems that every factor which could
affect the sound of a mic has been ruled out, I guess were
down to magic. Often happens with mics. Too often.

Oh, by frequency response I presume both magnitude and phase
were implied.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein