Mike Rivers

In article l4r%c.1023$D%.178@attbi_s51 writes:

Hello, I have an ancient PL-16 ElectroVoice mic. I removed the wire grid to
inspect the mic one day, and the wind screen material that comes with the
mic (under the grid) just dissolved into dust. Anyway I cleaned it out
nicely, and now want to replace that small 50-cent-size piece of foam with
another. You guys probably do stuff like this all the time - what material
do you recommend?

Actually, we don't do it all the time because the foam lasts for about
20 years. We sometimes leave it out if the mic sounds OK, or we go to
the original manufacturer for a replacement, which often as not,
includes the wire grill (so it costs more than fifty cents).

The windscreen (with all of its components) is one of the things
that's part of a microphone's design. Replace a part at random and
you'll make a random change to the sound of the mic. You might like
it, you might not like it, or you might find that it still sounds
pretty much like what it used to. If you want to try the cheap
solution, get some 1/8" drape lining foam from a fabric shop and stuff
it in.

Listen carefully.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )