Scott Dorsey

Default Why does one Neumann M49 has less high end than the other? Can I fix it?

Jack Random wrote:

I've got two nearly identical Neumann M49c for testing. One is a rental one
I really like and the other one is the mic I'm considering to buy.
The one I'd like to buy sounds quiet nice but the rental M49 has much nicer
high end and about 8db more output level.
Does anybody have an explanation for that? Valve, caps, diaphragm? The
dealer just replaced the diaphragm before I picked it up...

Could be it's strapped differently, but the fact that the capsule has been
rebuilt is maybe not a good sign. Who did the rebuild?

Is the lack of high end and output level something that can be fixed? Or is
it just one of many different characters that vintage mic have?

Maybe, but if it just got a capsule rebuild done....