Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default At power on tube filaments light up more than normal for a sec

Nick Gorham wrote:

Actually, in a conductor electricity does not 'flow
at the speed of light' the net flow of electrons in a
conductor is barely a few meters per second.

Two different things, depending on what you think
electricity is. Flow of electricity happens much
faster than your surely quaint "net flow of
electrons".

Of course, hence the ,pedant/pedant tokens.

Sorry. Sometimes I fall prey to the temptation to be
clever. Actually I know sod all about electricity. I
lost the plot after the Bohr atom. These days I think of
standing waves, but not very clearly. Being a
materialist, I have some issues with explanations that
place probability in the real world.

Me too. And I believe there are possible new theories
that don't require it I am pleased to say.

Problem is

What problem?

the real world doesn't mind if you have issues,

Yes it does. I am part of the real world. My issues *are*
real.

Yes it does. Our effect on the real world has been profound,
and continues to be so.

Wake up.

At least you realise that the real world has a mind, so I'll
give you some credit there.

it still keeps working the way it does.

In what way is it possible for anything *not* to work the
way it does? What point are you making?

Have you any links to those new theories

If you depend for your science on links provided in news
groups, there is a good chance you will fail to progress
beyond your idealistic position of naive materialism. The
world cares about you; you owe it some sympathy. Make an
effort.

it would be stunning if they replace the last 100 years of
physics, especially QED.

Science makes progress all the time, in fits and starts. If
you allow yourself to be stunned by this, you'll be
continually short-handed in the consciousness department.

Even if Ian and I do nothing more for science than whinge
and drag our feet, we contribute much more than those who
blindly acquiesce. We are part of the real world. We care.
Have some respect.

Ian