S888Wheel

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

From: "goFab.com"
Date: 7/13/2004 3:44 PM Pacific Standard Time
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:38:58 GMT, in article
CSzHc.48440$MB3.20668@attbi_s04,
S888Wheel stated:

From: "goFab.com"

Date: 7/8/2004 8:21 PM Pacific Standard Time

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:47:35 GMT, in article

HUeHc.12796$WX.4645@attbi_s51,
S888Wheel stated:

When the substance of a review is so
deeply at odds with the measured results, one must question what useful
purpose
these qualitative reviews are serving (beyond informing us of the mere
existence
of a particular product).

No one is suggesting that you agree with MF. But one has to wonder if you
are
letting your biases get the best of your opinion given you have never
listened
to the amps in question.

And what biases would those be?

The one you have already expressed about the measurments of this amp.

I urge you to read my posts again. The fact that this amp measured very
poorly
in JA's test is not a bias, it is an objective fact.

I didn't say the measurements were a bias I said that you may be biased by the
measurements. Are you saying this is not true?

The fact that MF's
review
was pretty much an unqualified rave is also not a bias, but an objective
fact.

Did I say his review was a bias? No.

I've only sought to comment on the coexistence of those two things.

You think I'm a shill for a competing $350K
audio amplifier? :-)

This might be another one. The price.

I fail to see what the price has to do with an amplifier being reviewed as
well
as can be imagined, on the one hand, and measuring so very poorly, on the
other.
Perhaps the high price makes the situation a bit more interesting than would
otherwise be the case, but that's about it.

It has been infered that the high price could have created a bias in favor of
the unit in MF's case. It seems just as valid to suggest the price may manifest
a negative bias in you.

I'm well aware of the law of
diminishing returns as it applies to very limited production luxury items
like
the Wavac; the fit and finish and reliability of a $400K Ferrari is unlikely
be as good as that of a $100K Benz. On the other hand, it is not likely that
when the Ferrari people advertise a top speed of 200 mph they deliver only 4
mph, to use a tenuous but not entirely inappropriate analogy.

The analogy is fair. I think the claim that the amp actually clips at 2 watts
is suspect.

FYI, I'm not in the business (audio or audio press)
and I
don't have any particular axe to grind.

You may not be in the audio press( I never said or implied you were) But I

am
skeptical about the axe.

That's fine for you to say, but I would just point out that you have no
discernible factual basis for your skepticism on this score.

Just your post.