Nousaine

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 7/11/2004 9:04 PM Pacific Standard Time

(S888Wheel) wrote:

...snip.....

You think an amp that clips at 93 dB SPL at 1m is good enough to handle
the dynamics of the kind of music you listen to? Well, it certainly
saves you a lot of money...unless you want this amp by WAVAC.

Is it clear that the amp ain't gonna put out much more than 93 db of

sound?

Here's a problem I am having with this though. When I auditioned a WAVAC

amp
that WAVAC rated at 50 watts it was able to play louder than my Creek
integrated amp that is rated at 20 watts. Now if WAVAC is in the habbit of
such
gross misrepresentations of power output one has to wonder what the true
output
of 50 watt WAVAC is. Even if it is only doing as well as it's big. very big
brother it should not be able to play louder than the 20 watt Creek. But it
did
without sounding *grossly* distorted. So what is going on here. Do you

think
that the big WAVACs really won't produce much more than 87 db on my current
speakers that are about 84 db in efficiency?

No I think that you are liking distorted sound.

Why would you make this misrepresentation of my view? Did I say I liked the
WAVAC?

And anyway how did you
establish SPL capability.

By ear. It was pretty obvious at what point each amp ran out of gas and how
loud they were playing when it happened. Of course if the WAVAC was only
putting out two watts, a genreous assumption given the measurements of their
so
called 150 watt amp, then there shouldn't be much chance of it putting out
anything near what the 20 watt Creek could put out comfortably, no? We'd
expect
9 db difference wouldn't we? That's pretty easy to distinguish don't you
think?

Wow we have a person who can distinguish to 1 dB accuracy SPL by ear in an open
listening session. You should get a job at OSHA.