Greg Weaver

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

"Nousaine" wrote in message
news:mm4Ic.66433$XM6.20336@attbi_s53...
(S888Wheel) wrote:

From: chung

I have a friend, ... but was crushed when a $300 cd player "blew
away" his tt in sound quality.

Do you know how preposterous that sounds? I have been in and around this
game since the late sixties, and I've yet to hear ANY well set-up
table/arm/cart - like the Music Hall MMF-2.1 for instance - "blown away" by
any similarly priced digital front end.

How you choose to define sound quality MIGHT be the issue. While we may
agree to disagree on what we like in terms of our own listening biases, when
it comes to dimensionality, warmth, and harmonic texture, what you've
described just doesn't happen. With a poorly maintained record, scratched
and dirty, popping and clicking from opening to close, the masking that
would occur would not allow you to truly hear the recording, and you may
have some ground to stand on. Otherwise, this is just insanity.

You implied this person had dropped major bucks on his analog system. Either
it was badly set up or someone is hallucinating. C'mon. Let's get real hear
(pun intended).

--

Greg Weaver

On Sound and Music