Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] shaynestacy@gmail.com is offline

Default Microphones- help!!

Thanks all!
I decided upon the VP-88. I loved that mic's results of some shows that
I had from the chicago area from 1993/4. Sure, it's a bit bulky but it
is versatile enough to go from camera to DAT. Thanks for the reminder-
I totally forgot about that mic until you mentioned it!

Shayne

Richard Kuschel wrote:
wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I've been taping live concerts since 1985, video since 1988, and DAT
since 1991. I just recently purchased a Panasonics AG-DVC30 pro
camcorder, and the internal mic is so bad on it that I need to break
down and buy a new mic. I have had some decent mics in the past- not
Schoeps or anything but I had a pair of nice Nak 300's and I have some
coresounds now.
So, what I'm looking for is a single condenser stereo microphone
that can be used with the camcorder and with my DAT. I know that most
quality microphones are mono mics so my options are limited for an
all-in-one stereo mic. I typically tape Indie and Punk Rock.

I have done some research and I found the following:

Rode NT4- The guy at Swee****er swears by this mic, but he has never
taped concerts with it. I saw on a forum for one of the jam bands that
this mic did not perform well- not bright enough. Anyone have any
experience with this one?

Sennheiser MKH418S: It's a shotgun mic, so it would be a pain to mount
to the camcorder and they are not very stealthy in DAT situations. But,
if the quality is right, I'll deal. Anyone with comments?

Crown SASSPMKII: I just don't know about this one. The reviews are
spectacular, but it is a PZM mic so I am afraid that it wont be
directional enough in DAT situations. Also, it looks weird and plastic?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking to spend $1000 or
less.

Thanks,
Shayne

Shure makes an MS microphone that will work in that situation and meets
your budget. VP88 It doesn't require Phantom Power. LF response is a
little light, and it is rather large, about 2x the size of an SM 57.

Speaking of large, the SASS-P is very large and only is stealthy
because nobody would recognize it as a microphone , but will sound
excellent. Pretty much what you hear is what you get.

If you are into a little more money, Sanken makes some excellent MS
microphones which are getting into the Neumann - Schoeps range.

They also have a couple which are more afordable as well as a shotgun
stereo microphone.