Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Microphones- help!!

"Fletch" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I've been taping live concerts since 1985, video since 1988, and DAT
since 1991. I just recently purchased a Panasonics AG-DVC30 pro
camcorder, and the internal mic is so bad on it that I need to break
down and buy a new mic. I have had some decent mics in the past- not
Schoeps or anything but I had a pair of nice Nak 300's and I have some
coresounds now.
So, what I'm looking for is a single condenser stereo microphone
that can be used with the camcorder and with my DAT. I know that most
quality microphones are mono mics so my options are limited for an
all-in-one stereo mic. I typically tape Indie and Punk Rock.

I have done some research and I found the following:

Rode NT4- The guy at Swee****er swears by this mic, but he has never
taped concerts with it. I saw on a forum for one of the jam bands that
this mic did not perform well- not bright enough. Anyone have any
experience with this one?

Sennheiser MKH418S: It's a shotgun mic, so it would be a pain to mount
to the camcorder and they are not very stealthy in DAT situations. But,
if the quality is right, I'll deal. Anyone with comments?

Crown SASSPMKII: I just don't know about this one. The reviews are
spectacular, but it is a PZM mic so I am afraid that it wont be
directional enough in DAT situations. Also, it looks weird and plastic?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking to spend $1000 or
less.

Thanks,
Shayne

NT-4 not bright enough? It is two NT 5 capsules. I use the NT 5's as
overheads on our kit and it is more than plenty bright. Somebody isn't
doing something right if it lacks brightness.

They're probably just objecting to "room sound".