William Sommerwerck

Default Sony Repair Suggestions

I searched the FTC site. which regulates warranties in the USA.
I did not find anything about stocking parts. I would bet you big
money that what you think is a law, is really just Sony internal policy.

This has nothing to do with warranties. I've seen it, but it was years ago, and
I don't remember where.

Actually, manufacturers are not required by law to stock any parts
so long as they honor the warranty. They have the right to just send
you a new or factory refurbed unit instead of replacing a bad part.
Manufacturers are not required to perform any repairs or parts past
the warranty period.

To the best of my knowledge, none of this is so.

I am not sure why you think Sony is not interested in long term customer
satisfaction.

When the replacement cable for a $100 pair of headphones costs $60, you KNOW
they are not interested in long-term customer satisfaction.

Generally Japanese firms are much more interested in customer
satisfaction than US firms, because for one reason, there is much
less emphasis on quarterly earnings in Japan.

This seems to be true in Japan, but not in the US. I can't think of any Japanese
electronics firm that provides really good customer service to its US customers.

I'm going to ask Bonnie. I'll let everyone know sometime next week.