Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Yamaha n-12 repair

On 10/7/2019 4:57 PM, Michael Beacom wrote:

From what I understand, it is an analog mixer with a built-in firewire
inerface.
I'm guessing that it is an analog problem, but that guess and a couple
of dollars will get a coffee at Starbucks.

Make that a grande pumpkin spiced latte. There's Firewire I/O and some
stuff, via MIDI, to control the transport and arm tracks in Cubase, and
maybe other DAWs if you can make them smart enough.

From a look at the schematic, it looks like all of the analog inputs
make their way to A/D converters, and all the routing is done digitally.
Not as bad as an all-digital mixer, but more room for things to go wrong
without an easy way of tracing signals from input to output.

The fix could be as simple as re-flashing the firmware memory, but
apparently the only way you can get the code is if you're a Yamaha
authorized tech. So maybe that'll be the first thing that Pro-Tech will
do if you bring it to them, and if that fixes the problems, it'll only
be an hour for labor and no parts. Look on the bright side.