Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Simple Audio Test Chamber

Jerry Steiger wrote:
I was thinking that it would be best to have a small enclosure in which I
could mount either a speaker (either the reference speaker or a test speaker
or one of our hand-held units acting as a speaker) and a microphone (either
the reference microphone or a test microphone or one of our hand-held units
acting as a microphone). I would line the inside of the enclosure with sound
absorbing panels so that we would be measuring mostly the direct response of
the speaker or the microphone, since that is what we would mostly be getting
in our outdoor environment. Am I on the right track? Is this something
reasonably easy for me to do?

It's easy to do if you only care about high frequencies. The hard part is
the door.

The lower the frequency of interest, the larger the chamber has to be.

Take a look at the IAC catalogue. They make portable chambers in all
varying sizes from very small to very large. You can try copying their
designs.