Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Before I spend too much...

On 06/07/2019 20:38, wrote:
Ty Ford wrote: "I'm guessing that the new stuff you hear streaming has been processed and data
reduced to stream. That may explain its flatness. "

Digital, streaming(unless at dial up speeds) do
nothing "to" the audio. Processing does.

Just about every programme you can listen to as a stream has been
squished into a 128kb/ second MPEG data stream at best. Even the BBC's
flagship service for audio quality, BBC Radio 3, which carries mostly
classical music, often drops below 128 kbps as against its normal 192 kbps..

Many of the ones I have checked out are streaming music at 64 kbps, mono
audio. Some (mainly speech only, phone in stations) go as low as 32 kbps.

Bandwidth at the server end of the link is expensive, and as these are
mainly commercial stations, paid for by the adverts, they need to keep
costs down.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.