Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Default New Production Tube Suggestions?

The prices for NOS tubes are skyrocketing.
:-(

Even AES wants $21 for a 6V6GT now... out of this world, considering what
the 6V6 is really for (cheap, afforable radio/tv/pa output tube!)

I've used USSR 6V6GT relabeled as Amperex and Philips

I don't remember seeing Soviet-made tubes sold under any Philips brands.
OTOH, relabeled of fake tubes are quite common: I've got a quad of Soviet
6Pi6C (6P6S) marked Mullard 6V6GT, made in England...

Mine are marked Amperex Made in England, ECG, and Philips. Philips/ECG
distributed a lot of tubes from wherever they could get them in the 80s and
early 90s. It is my understanding that many Soviet tubes were marked Made in
England, Germany, Italy, etc so that they could be imported into the USA
without penalty. Ned Carlson explained this to me in this very newsgroup, a
long time ago. I also have a pair of Chinese 6550 labeled Philips ECG.

Anyway, the 6Pi6C has lower ratings than real 6V6GTs and are
meltdown-prone
in high B+ amplifiers..

My Electrohomes are your typical push pull 6V6 amps, which don't push any
limits. I wouldn't try one in a Fender Champ.

The reason I was so impressed with the Sylvania 6V6GTA's, is I used them for
quite a while as a substitute for EL34's in a home made amplifier. It has
fixed bias, and 450V on the plates... biased within their dissapation
ratings, the sound was amazingly good. I actually liked it better than with
the EL34s in place. I tried normal (Canadian Marconi) 6V6GT's, and they
could not hold up to the plate voltage, and arced over. I did this
experiment about 10 years ago, before I knew that any 6V6 could have
significant value.