Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Zoom H4 digital recorder?

On Mar 9, 12:25 pm, MarcoM wrote:

An owner of the R-09 told me you can hear an electronic click for every
step of the volume setting

I believe I have read the same thing, and in fact my Jukebox 3 does a
brief mute each step of the gain setting. But my philosophy is that
you set the record level once (correctly, of course) and then leave
it alone through the duration of the recording. You may generate a few
clicks at the start while you're establishing the correct setting, but
once that's done and you leave it alone, it should be no problem.

People who think they have to ride the gain throughout a recording
aren't "digital ready." It's certainly reasonable, providing you have
the skill, to ride the gain on a singer when recording a vocal TRACK,
but that isn't what you use these recorders for.