Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nappy

Default Reducing ventelation noise

"Frank Stearns" wrote in message
Jay Kadis writes:

In article .com,
"Matrixmusic" wrote:

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

Is the noise from the air handlers or from turbulence in the ducts?

There are duct lining products that can reduce noise, but low-noise A/C

systems
for studios employ oversized ducts with very low air flows rates to avoid
turbulence and that won't be attainable with 6" ducts.

That's always true, but sometimes you also have to punt.

Our mobile rig has 6" flexi ducting to an external AC unit. Fan noise was
griping me. Investigated duct silencers, but they cost Big Bucks and were
bulky.

Found a cut-away picture of one such animal. Stupidly simple concept.

At both ends of each duct, I cobbled together duct slats the duct diameter
(plus a bit to make for a snug fit) and about 10" in length, made from 1"
703, "v"d at the wind edge of the slat to avoid (as much) turbulance, and
wrapped with cloth so that fiberglass dust wouldn't spew into the space.

Yes.. those are the beasts I have used years ago.. quite functional.