Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bart Candlewick[_3_] Bart Candlewick[_3_] is offline

Default Crackling Sounds from Microphone

On 10/23/2017 7:49 PM, Matt Faunce wrote:
About a year ago I started having a problem with the microphone (or XLR
cable) that I use for my gigs: sometimes the amplified sound would sputter
out, and sometimes I'd also hear crackling sounds at various intensity
levels. This happened with two different PAs, each on different days,
(although I used the same XLR cable.)

The microphone is the AKG Blueline with the miniature cardioid capsule
which is connected to the mic-body with a long thin cord.

The last time it happened I switched, mid-gig, to my backup microphone
which is battery powered -- (I don't know if the problem was with the
phantom power) -- and continued using this backup for a year with no
problems. I procrastinated getting the AKG fixed. Since I recently got an
informal coffee-shop gig I decided to test the AKG again, and I thought it
would be useful to video record the problem so I could show the video to a
mic-repairman. But the problem hasn't recurred in the last three gigs.

I originally thought there might be a break in the cord connecting the
mini-capsule to the mic-body, because the problem seemed to happen more
often when I moved, inadvertently at first, then purposely, jiggling the
thin connecting cord. The last time it happened the crackling was very loud
even with the PA volume knob turned way down.

Since the problem hasn't occurred after its year off I wonder if there was
some moisture in the microphone somewhere and if maybe it won't likely
recur.

Can you tell me what the likely cause of the problem was? What should I do?

Matt, which coffee shop? I think I am in the area.