Agent 86

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:01:42 -0700, vdubreeze wrote:

I ended up spending about $200 less than I thought I'd have to for my
Craig's List June G.A.S. attack Larrivee, so I want to make up the
difference with a mini condenser gooseneck for it. Haven't decided yet
omni or cardiod, single or stereo, though I'm leaning towards an omni
stereo. What I want to do is simplify all the times I lay down acoustic
parts when it's just me in the (smallish) control room. I usually set up
a good mic, throw blankets over anything that's making too much noise
(it's not so noisy that I can't use an omni, but the computer, drives and
all that add up to something) and just make do, but it'd be nice to not
have to return to standing in front of the mic after every knob
adjustment, having it clipped to me. Plus, if someone joins in all I'd
need to do is get them going, not move my mic stand so they can enter the
room, move it again so they can sit, etc.

Figure it can come in handy for other things too. Has anyone been
satisfied doing any kind of acoustic guitar recording using any
manufacturer's $200 mini mic? Any to avoid?

It almost seems like you intentionally avoided saying so, but the way you
described it, my guess is you're looking for a mic to be mounted inside
your guitar. If so, I'd make two points.

1. Internal mics are convenient for live work. And in a live situation
(where feedback can be controlled), they usually sound marginally better
than a piezo type transducer. They are in no way up to the task of
producing quality recordings (IMO), because a guitar sounds substantially
different on the inside than it does on the outside. Plus, as with any
acoustic instrument, the room is a big part of the sound.

2. There are damned few $200 condensers I'd recommend for anything more
critical than paperweight duty. Of the ones I would recommend, none would
fit very easily inside a guitar.