View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default How do I freeze a note during playback so I can hear it, kind oflike when MIDI gets stuck?

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:08:13 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
"TimR" skrev i en meddelelse

Is there an easy way to do this?

Let me translate what you write: "Hi guys, I'm using - erm - this here
software, and I am too lazy to explore menus and help function, please tell
me how it works."

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Actually not the case.

I've been discussing how to do this with other musicians, for the purpose of improving skill at chord recognition. (was that first inversion just before the repeat? suspended? diminished?)

None of us knew any software that would do it. The usual suspects don't have that function. What we use can't do that. What we do now is play a section over and over, and that works, but it would be convenient to freeze it like you can freeze a video.

It seemed likely to me that when you mix a recording perhaps you freeze at a point but keep listening so you can really hear balance, etc. So I thought I'd ask here. But maybe you never have enough time and always mix on the fly, who knows?

From your response it sounds like it may be doable within standard software..

Is it possible you could tell me the term for what I want to do? I'm pretty sure I could google it if I knew the name. (You know, like when you go to the hardware store and say you'd really like a socket wrench on the end of a screwdriver because you just can't get this piece apart any other way, and they shake their head sadly and say sorry, wish there was something like that but nobody makes one, and then your friend asks for a nutdriver and they say sure, Aisle 14, right on the end.)