Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.equipment
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Anyone heard this $300K turntable?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:05:40 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

All this is for naught unless the vinyl record is actually glued
to the platter. The interface will never be tight enough to
transfer the energy adequately through the pair of impedance
discontinuities otherwise. It may, of course touch in a few
places, but certainly no everywhere.

This is a logical criticism, but it doesn't seem to apply in practice.

Most turntables have a screw-down "puck" (or similar device) that presses
the disk firmly against the platter.

Yup, my turntable has one of those. It pulls the label into very close
contact with the platter. Shame I don't play the label, though - it
really does very little for the rest, although it does help flatten
out the warps; but that is really about the limit.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com