Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edi Zubovic Edi Zubovic is offline

Default Anyone heard this $300K turntable?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:36:39 -0700, wrote:
-------------8-----------
You're right about the Quads, too. Actually, I prefer the Harbeth
Monitor 40s to the Quads, and they retail for yes, you guessed it,
$11,000 a pair. I heard a $50,000 pair of speakers a couple of days
ago, and while they were excellent, I'm not sure I'd pay the extra
$39,000 for them. The Zu Audio Definitions are around the same
amount, and they're pretty tough to beat, too.

Boon

-- Recently, while purchasing some sE Electronics stuff in a local
audio shop, I listened to a Quad tube setup and ESL 2905 loudspeakers.
I thought that these would make excellent control monitors. Here's why
-- the first CD I heard was some Dire Straits stuff and I wasn't
pleased at all with the remaster. It was edgy and sounded harsh. Then
the salesman pulled out a Deutsche Grammophon CD -- a Bruckner's #5
symphony -- as I remember the cover it must have been DGG 445 879-2;
Vienna Philharmonics, C. Abbado. Now this was entirely different.
Besides an excellent rendition of space, I wondered why I had an
impression of sitting in center balcony. Then I thought that the
recording must have been made with main microphnes in the spaced omni
setup and hanging from EMT winches. Excellent. These loudspeakers were
capable of re-creating this detail too. I wish I had a pair of these.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia