Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alan Rutlidge Alan Rutlidge is offline

Default Numark TT-1 anti-skate problem

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 02:41:56 -0400, "Mark Oppat"
wrote:

Anyways, I was tracking this at 2 grams. I balanced the arm at 0, then
used
the counterweight to set it to 2 grams.
Now, if I go back to 0 (balanced), and move the arm in, I can feel and see
how much anti-skate force is there... and, it doesnt vary when I change it
from 0 to max on the anti-skate dial. So, that function is broken it
seems
and before I dig in, I was hoping someone here has worked on the Numark
TT-1
before me.

Excellent. The anti-skating force (called "bias" in England;
much better) is typically chosen to be roughly 12% of
tracking force. Measuring forces this small is possible
by observing deflection of very small spring wire or
multiple hairs, etc.

I still don't think that this is your problem. The stylus
would first have to leave the groove, so insufficient
tracking force is the first place to look.

That's what I suggested to Mark two days ago.
The Stanton 500 has a recommended tracking force of 2 to 5 grams.
Considering the quality of the tonearm on the Numark isn't the best I think
I suggested to Mark to try setting the tracking at 3 - 5 grams, which should
give reliable tracking with the Stanton.

BTW, the standard stylus fitted to the Stanton 500 is a 0.7mil spherical.

Cheers,
Alan

DJ turntables tend to come supplied with DJ styli,
intended for much higher tracking forces. Determining
which stylus you have is, I'd bet, your next step.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"History consists of truths which in the end turn into lies,
while myth consists of lies which finally turn into truths."
- Jean Cocteau