Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ping-pong stereo

"Jeff Henig" wrote in message

I would be curious to know how people in rec.audio-pro react to the
quad version of DSM.

I don't yet have a surround system set up, but when I do, Alan Parson's
quad DSM mix is my targeted first experience, for sure. I've heard a lot
of good things about it, and DSM is one of my all-time favorite albums.

I have both the SQ LP and the surround SACD of a decade ago. (The mixes are
slightly different, aren't they?) It has always been a model of how to do this
sort of thing well.

I have several Elton John surround SACDs -- the original recordings of which
were /not/ conceived for surround -- and they sort of sit there and die.
Simply having a multi-track master is not enough to guarantee an interesting
surround mix.