Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones

wrote...
So, to review the bidding:
1) you have a cable with a stereo 3.5m connector,
but only two wires in the cable.
2) You don't know which two parts (tip, ring, sleeve)
of the connector your two wires go to.
3) You connected your two unknown wires to L & R
and with the ground unconnected.

1) Yes,
2) The white wire from the cable is going to the tip, while the red
wire is going to the center. The plug itself has a sleeve portion
(ground), but there is no additional wire connected to it, only 2.

Then it will never work for what you need. You need a
cable with all three wires, one each to the tip, ring, and sleeve.

3) I soldered the white wire (tip) to the pcb where it says "L" and
the red to "R". The pcb shows a "G" but the stereo cable doesnt have
any other wire. Do audio stereo cables (with 3.5m plugs) normally have
3 conductor wires all the way through?

Yes you need all three connections. You cable is an oddball
that will not work for your application.

I'll try to connect the ground to the sleeve with just some alligator
clips to see if that fixes the issue... as for the active voltage,
Im assuming that the usb connector is providing the power, but the
earbuds that Im replacing only had the L, R, and Ground wires going to
them so Im guessing in theory, those are the only signals I need to
get it on a 3.5mm plug, no?

Correct.