Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Blown power amp channel?

On 8 Mar 2007 21:49:15 -0800, "need4mospd"
wrote:

I played on it again tonight and used Channel A with the ACL light
coming on after about 5 minutes. After switching the amp off and on
again it kept going steady at a decent volume for around 2 hours til I
shut it down. So after warming up it works fine in parallel mode. When
I bridged it later on it clipped under higher loads.

Any more thoughts before I take it in for repair?

Does it play alright on channel B only?

It's an interesting problem because most modern amplifier
failures are catastrophic (brimstone and treacle). Failures
that don't cause a China Syndrome Meltdown are rare and
interesting.

And, "unfortunate as it was" (Taj Mahal), very specific. Our
generic advice here will be less useful.

Generic advice (from me): if it works at all, it's well
worth repairing. My personal experience of bass amps is
of tragic underdesign and terminal cheap-assedness. Just
a taste of modern life, really. Find somebody who cares
enough to fix the one you've got; better may not be easily
buyable, is my point.

If this is too harsh an advice and a real picker out there
knows of something current and solid, speak! I'd love to be
wrong, fersure.

Much thanks,

Chris Hornbeck