Raymond

Date: 2/8/05 7:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

I am totally new to recording and want to start home recording
classical guitar. I have researched some options and was hoping to get
some feedback. Basically, I have a new iMac G5 but its not located in
a place in my home that I can use for late night recording. So I don't
want to use the computer as the recorder, but would like to use it if
needed for editing and burning to cds.

I am trying to stay under $600 and more importantly is ease of use...I
am looking for simple yet quality.

I was thinking of the Tascam DP-01FX since that would be provide me
with both the recorder and the phantom power for external mics. The
other option is maybe the Fostex MR-8 (a couple of hunder $ less than
the Tascam), but I don't think that has phantom power so I would need
to get a preamp (no clue which one) and the mics.

What do you think of the above alternatives and do recommend anything
else?

What kind of room do you plan on tracking in? What do you want to do with your
finished recordings? Most all of us here are Professional guys and we would
tend to steer some one away from building a studio unless they have the know
how to do it right from the first dollar they spend.
There is a FAQ for this group here...

http://www.phys.tue.nl/people/etimme...gfaq/RFAQ.html

Read thru the "Newbie" section first, there's a lot of really good info there.
And you can find a link to the "Four Track forum" at the top as well, everyone
in that forum is geared to the lower cost consumer set up.