Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default Any way to get decent external speakers for a Macbook without having to get an amp, too.

In article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 30, 8:19*am, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:22*pm, "Iain Churches" wrote:
" wrote in message

On Mar 29, 3:16 pm, MiNe 109 * wrote:

In article
,

" wrote:
I'm using a pair of Bose comparion 2 Series 2, and they are
serviceable. Anything better out there, sans external amp?

Maybe something like this:

http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php

Stephen

How do they sound as opposed to the Bose?

For something *much* better listen to/look
at Genelec:

http://www.genelec.com/products/

or Tannoy:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?sou...=1T4PCTA_enFI3...

Iain

The Tannoy looked interesting; I wonder if there is any way I can get
them in Sydney Australia on short notice? I couldn't figure out which
of the Genelec models required an amp or didn't? Does "active" mean no
amp?

Active can be a synonym for powered, or amp built-in. I should have
asked what budget you had in mind and noticed where you are.

I have heard pro Tannoy monitors, good but can be bright depending on
how they're positioned.

I'd say to take a look at Quad and Wharfedale but good luck with the
website.

Stephen

Okay I picked up some Audioengine 5s. But how the heck do they hook up
to a MacBook, which I believe has only one audio out jack, that for a
set of headphones. I hope there are some adapters available or should
I be looking into returning these (very heavy) speakers?

stereo mini-plug (3.5mm) to RCA pair cable from Mac headphone jack to
Audioengine RCA inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-M...KR1OG/ref=sr_1
_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238412568&sr=1-8

Stephen