Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

nebulax wrote:
are also the most expensive. I guess what I'm looking for is an
inexpensive cable that makes as few changes to the signal as possible,
but doesn't cost $1000 a foot!

The solution to most cable problems exists in the low-impedance balanced
line. Running line-level signals with low-Z connections means you can get
away with outrageous amounts of cable reactance and series resistance without
any problem. THIS means you can then select your cable for the best noise
rejection.

Use whatever brand of star quad is on sale today, and run everything high
level, low impedance, and balanced. If you have to run long mike lines,
that's a different story, though. And if you have to run long unbalanced
lines, transformer boxes will save your life.