Steven Sullivan

Default Ears vs. Instruments

All Ears wrote:
"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message
news:XgGTa.131481$Ph3.16434@sccrnsc04...
In article ,
All Ears wrote:
Ahh..This makes the choice so much easier, just line up the specs, and
choose "most bang for the buck"
This philosophy will also save future audiophiles a bundle of trouble and
money! If it does not sound right, just look at the specs and say to
yourself: "I can't trust my ears, the specs are good, the sound must be
good" Repeat until total satisfaction is obtained.

Great, the typical response of the anti-science bruigade is to
trump out irrelevancies, absurdities and thinly veiled snide
comments, instead of dealing with the actual content of the
post.

BTW Those who are still convinced that cables does not matter, try using

well oxidized copper wire as speaker cable. This will sound "great"

Really, and what does THAT have to do with anything. Has anyone
here refuted the notion that oxidized or corroded connections
have no audible effects? Well, has anyone? Seems not, so why
bring up an utterly irrelevant strawman, otherv thna to knock it
down?

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |

I admit that it was meant partly as a provocation. However the subject is
interesting to me. There seems to be a problem in the way that we measure or
rate the measurements, today.

Otherwise, why would equipment with similar specifications sound different?

I will also question the value of double blind tests, in connection to audio
equipment. This is because that any kind of pressure or stress to the test
persons, will affect the perception of the sound presented.
I would think that it would be much more interesting to collect statistical
material, like letting a fairly large amount of people (one by one, or in
small groups) listen to different equipment, in a relaxed atmosphere. To get
a good reference point, I would suggest using a live concert piano, in a
separate room with a microphone, feeding the signal to the equipment in the
other rooms.

Are you sure this doesn't involve *any kind of presssure or stress*?

With regard to cables, I am not speaking of poor connections, even if the
connections are good, but the cables are oxidized, it will give a noticeable
harsh sound.

I the cable is 'well oxidized', the connected is not likely to be 'good'.

Anyway, a good quality speaker cable will sound a lot better
than a lamp cord, even in a blind test.

Oh, really? Can you describe the blind tests that support this claim,
and contrast them, perhaps, with Greenhill's report?

Those who cannot hear this, are
probably not comparing the right speaker cable to the lamp cord.

Those who make this claim have yet to provide evidence of its
accuracy.

--
-S.