Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

KH wrote:

Actually no, I wasn't referring to solid geometry. As Donald states,
I'm talking about time, amplitude, and direction. Hence all the
discussion surrounding vector information. A 2-D signal does not
contain directional information that is not just required, but is an
intrinsic property of a vector. Acoustic signals comprise
multitudinous vectors. It's the vector summation, filtered and
transformed via the HRTF that allows identification, aurally, of
three dimensions. It's the angular component that is excised during
transduction.
Perhaps this is some of the confusion. I thought vectors would be
well understood in the discussion.

Keith

So Keith Howard says there is no directional information in a stereo
recording? Just time and amplitude? Then what, pray tell, is the difference
from mono?

Gary Eickmeier