Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

On 4/23/2013 6:18 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

I suspect that High-End audio will largely
die with us baby-boomers and older folks.

As you seem to define high end audio, yes.

Well, yes, that goes without saying. But my definition is not
mega-buck, it's more related to need for high quality reproduction of
music - as an activity, not a background operation - in order to be
satisfied.

As it morphs, not so much.

Sorry, can't agree with you there based on my experience. I wish it
were so.

Apparently, except for a very
few, the younger generations don't view music the way our generation
views it.

Just sitting down and listening to just recorded music and doing nothing
else as a preferred activity will largely die with our generation.

Listening to music has become an "and" process instead of an "or" process.
People now listen to music as they do something else, and that something
else may be the main activity that is getting their primary attention. So,
the experience is music and, and not so much music or.

And I do the same as well - on airplanes for hours on end, and while
reviewing reams of data, etc. - but that *I* don't consider to be part
of "high-end" listening. YMMV

snip

The physical size and cost that equipment has to have in order to be
enveloping and accurate has decreased significantly. A Sansa Clip and a
pair of Sony XBA-2 earphones (for example) should not be pooh-poohed in the
way that many seem prone to do.

This is absolutely true IME, yet it hardly compares to a real full-range
system. I'm not saying that "kids" can't appreciate...yadda,
yadda,...it's just that, as you relate, the video generation never
really had the audio-only immersion that we (old guys) did (chemically
enhanced or not), and as a result just don't relate to it in the same
manner as we do.

Keith