Posted to rec.audio.car
George Neuner George Neuner is offline

Default Clean/demagnetize in-dash cassette player

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:08:35 -0700 (PDT), G wrote:

On Apr 19, 8:05*pm, G wrote:

Old machines are likely not to pull tape.

Yes, I know that old players can have problems. I tried playing an
audio tape - I don't know if it would continue to pull evenly through
a whole tape but it worked fine for a couple of minutes.

It just seems to purposely reject cleaning tapes. The ones I have all
work (not stuck or anything) ... I checked them with another tape
deck.

You mean you can't stick an alcohol q tip and clean the head?

Can't reach anything. Behind the door is a motorized cage that holds
the tape and retracts downward behind the front panel to reach the
mechanism. That cage is blocking all access ... can't even see the
mechanism.

Oh, you could try lengthening the demag by taping a piece of steel
along the side of present probe, if isn't the loop type.

The one I have is a 6 inch plastic wand with the wire loop embedded.
It's long enough to reach, but I can't get it past the cage.

Greg

George