Posted to rec.audio.car
xxEMOxx xxEMOxx is offline

Default Identifying MB Quart models

On Aug 7, 4:53 pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
VERY underated vintage (1997) Rockford Fosgate Punch 225.2 (112.5 X 2 RMS,
550 watts RMS bridged It was built back in the day when Rockford Fosgate
amps were bullet-proof.

I reread this and found it somewhat ironic. The term "bullet-proof" is
thrown around alot to denote quality, but in the current context, the irony
is that it is actually quite literal. The amp is encased in a very large
1/4-1/2" thick aluminum heat-sink housing making it heavier than hell and I
have absolutely NO DOUBT it would not be damaged if shot with any gun
smaller than a .44" magnum (or high-powered hunting riffle bullet). It
could take a 9 mm slug or .38" slug no problem, probably a standard .45"
round.

Anyway, I found it funny that although that term is used all the time to
denote quality, there are almost no products that actually ARE. It is the
only amp of my 4 amps, all high-quality (Phoenix Gold, Alpine Class D, ect.)
that I actually would put through a bullet test and expect it to survive.

Just an observation, and something to consider when comparing the
construction of older amps vs. newer models. I doubt any of the new
Rockford Fosgate amps could take a bullet. Of course, amps are not designed
with the expectation they may take gunnfire (well, I guess in certain
neighborhoods perhaps that should be considered).

But just the same I found it ironic I used the term "bullet-proof" without
even thinking that it TRULY WAS.

MOSFET

MOSFET thank you for the input, I was running a set of MB Quart QSD
216's for 4 years, and sold my trans am, but sadly didn't remove the
speakers when I sold the car, figuring well i will get a set of PSD's
and use them, same tweeter and i still have the cross overs. Now I
got those speakers in 2002 and its 2009, i am looking every which way,
and sadly have heard alot of the new QUART speakers, when Rockford
owned them, they where still decent, now that Maxxsonic's owns them, i
have heard from many friends in the industry they are cutting corners
skimping on quality etc...... which i would expect seeing as they make
autotek, and hifonics. Both now are regarded as flea mart specials.

Anyway, i love my tweeters ear bleeding bright, vocals that can truely
hit the highs...... I am going to look at a set of Kappa's or Alpine
R's now.... I love the higher end JL and Diamonds but for $400+ they
just arent worth it for me, as i am not near in my car as much and
also i am starting to relize i can get very comperable speakers for a
much lower price.