Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Another PC Oddity

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...

The last Windows version that needed a daily reboot was win9x, the end of
the "95 and derivatives range". The NT range never did and all models are

NT
derivatives now. It did suffer from annoying reboot requirements after any
install that necessitated re-reading the registry, but that is about fixed
by now, possibly because they learned from how the way their webserver
adjusts to changes in setup.

I'm running 2000 Pro -- which is an NT4 derivative. It's highly stable,
suffering only from a slot swap file enlargement that slows things down.

I normally have many applications running. Yesterday I so "abused" the OS
with heavy graphics processing that multiple programs hung and I had to
restart.

Microsoft has never paid sufficient attention to the problems of producing a
"crash-proof" machine that never (well, hardly ever) needs to be restarted.

What problem do you solve by letting the box run 24-7? - are you
on the low side of the required CO2 release or something?

It solves three problems. I never have to wait for the computer to boot. The
internal temperature is more stable. The hard drives do not have to start
and stop.

I am working on the assumption that (more-) constant temperature = better
reliability. The machine is nearly 11 years old, and I've no problems. (ASUS
P4T motherboard, by the way. My next motherboard will be ASUS.)