Clive Backham

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

On 16 Jan 2004 09:58:37 -0800, (SPS22) wrote:

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's. So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rythm
(Audacity seems more helpful than Goldwave
for this)
- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)
- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

I'd keep hold of Audacity or GoldWave for general editing. I
personally prefer GoldWave, but others prefer Audacity.

Given your source is cassette tape, for hiss reduction you might want
to check out DCart, which has an interesting "dynamic noise filter"
which operates in a competely different way to the normal spectral
substitution methods you find in most other editors. It can be very
effective on "busy" music (but it pumps badly on simple acoustic
stuff).
--
Clive Backham

Note: As a spam avoidance measure, the email address in the header
is just a free one and doesn't get checked very often. If you want to email
me, my real address can be found at: www [dot] delback [dot] co [dot] uk