Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 1:42 pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

[ Excess quotation snipped. Folks, please trim more carefully;
most people have the history of the thread at hand. -- dsr ]

I wasn't too surprised to find, therefore, that it
had a very fast rise-time

And I'll assert, with a couple thousand person-
centuries of of experience, theory and practice
to back it up, that the rise time is defined as much
IF NOT MORE by the input signal than by the
response of the cartrdige system. Explain, for
example how it can be any faster than the input
signal.

Square wave response tests have the advantage
of being quite easy to generate, quite easy to view,
and especially easy to (mis)interpret. As a real
measurement tool that's capable of revealing any
information, square waves are extremely limited
in utility and content. The complex transfer function
will tell you everything a square wave does, and
much, much more and without the huge interpretive
ambiguity of square waves.

Dick, for all that, I don't think we are disagreeing. A fast rise time,
coupled with a single overshoot will also certainly result in an optimum or
near-optimum transient response in your terms. And obviously it depends on
the input signal from the test record. But it wasn't difficult to get
useful square wave input off test records back in the day...and they were
designed specifically for this purpose.