normanstrong

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

Here is a question for you. You listen to a product like the
WAVACs. You
know
you don't like the measurements but you really did think what you

heard
sounded
more like live music. What do you report in your review?

I would report that I personally liked them but I would also

prominently add,
"Warning Warning Will Robinson: these amps did not test well at

all."

And this is unlike what Stereophile did in what way?

And I
would certainly temper the statements made in my review.

You would? You mean you would let your biases regarding the

measurements affect
your honest impression of the sound you experienced? I would not

like that at
all. I would want the most honest review of the sonic impressions.
Interestingly MF was not aware of how the amp measured before

writing his
review. maybe it was for the best. Maybe the measurements would have

tempered
his review which would have been less true to his impressions. IMO

Stereophile
may have out done what you would have done yourself.

"Let" your biases affect your honest impressions? You can't prevent
it. That's why they're called biases. You have no control over them.
If I were the reviewer, just seeing the amplifiers, knowing what they
cost and that they are SETs, would make any review I might write
worthless. Clearly, Mr. Fremer's review WAS worthless.

Norm Strong