Roscoe East

Though this same set of questions was posted in rec.audio.tech
several days ago, I'm responding to the questions here as well.

Roscoe East wrote:
Is there a straightahead method for determining the optimum
volume for a loudspeaker enclosure based on a particular
driver's Thiel-Small parameters?

Yes, if you are willing to define what you mean by "optimum."
The problem being is that optimum is a multi-dimensional system.
For example, does optimum mean maximum bandwidth, flattest
response, greatest low frequency excursion limited output,
best transient response, smallest size and so forth? Or some
combination thereof? Which performance parameter(s) are you
willing to compromise to optimize some other parameter(s)?

I would have defined "optimum" as "the best balance between all those
parameters" but I do see your point, that trade-offs among those
parameters are preferential and so leave a lot of leeway. Is there a
direct formula or simple rule of thumb for translating T-S parameters
to "optimum" dimensions for each of the qualities you describe?

And conversely, is there a way to determine the optimum
Thiel-Small parameters (or, really, to select an appropriate
driver) based on an existing enclosure's volume & port size?

Again, if you can answer the question I posed above, the answer
is yes.

Okay, see my answer (above). Now how do I go about determining what
those sonic variables will be based on the information I have at hand
(in this case, existing enclosure's volume & port size)?

And is there a way to determine how a given driver will
perform in a given enclosure if you have all that information?

Yes, to a very great extent, especially in the so-called "piston
band" region of operation.

I didn't realize I had posed a Yes or No question! Allow me to
rephrase: How does one go about determining how a given driver will
perform in a given enclosure, assuming one knows the different driver's
T-S parameters & the candidate enclosure's dimensions? Thanks.