Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default variable speed playback on MP3 player-- what purpose??

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 12:05:15 PM UTC-4, John Battersby wrote:
I just picked up a cheap AGPtEK mp3 player that, so far, I have been
quite impressed with considering the cheap price. Anyway, one of the
settings is variable speed playback. I set it below normal and when it
encountered an MP3 file, the song played slower in speed, but pitch
remained constant (this function didn't seem to work on anything other
than MP3 files (not FLAC, for example)). Anyway, I'm wondering what
purpose this has? In the studio, matching singer pitch maybe to a
track, but jogging or listening in the car, not sure why.

Back in the days, record companies would speed up recordings [2%+] since they felt it made the song(s) sound better. What you have can be found in both Windows Media Player and Audacity (software). What purpose? Depends. It's like asking why Microsoft needed to purchase HDCD from Pacific Microsonics.. HDCD, what a joke.

Jack

Thanks,
John