Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

Default Target CDs

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 9:27:19 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

can someone site an example of a commercially available digital recording that sounds audibly bad due to bad quality A/D converters of the era. I'd like to hear it.

Plenty of them.

One very offensive example I can think of from that era, though, is
the GRP "Digital Duke" recording. Now, it's aggressively multimiked and
incredibly bright and everything is in your face, but that's not the fault
exclusively of the conversion.

But.... listen to how notes die out... the reverb tails are almost chopped
off by the truncation. I'd never actually heard how bad truncation even
at 16 bits could be.

This is a DDD recording so there are at least three and possibly five
converters in the signal path.

But you can pick up just about anything from that era and hear the tonality
changing in the reverb tail as it drops down.

Back then, man probably didn't know the difference between a bit and a dog bite!
I was hoping existing analog recordings to digital.

Jack